A granting of a Certificate of Rehabilitation is an automatic recommendation and application to Governor of California for a Pardon.
To be eligible for a Governor?s Pardon, you must have been convicted of a felony or certain misdemeanor sex offenses. Normally, you must wait 10 years from completing your prison sentence, completing probation, or completing parole.
The common route to a governor?s pardon will be to apply for a certificate of rehabilitation first. However, it is possible to apply for a Governor?s pardon directly without having to get a certificate of rehabilitation.
Obtaining a Governor?s pardon restores certain rights if you were convicted of a felony.
The benefits of obtaining a Governor?s Pardon:
- It allows you to serve on a jury
- It restores your rights to own a firearm, with federal approval, unless the conviction was for a felony involving the use of a deadly weapon
- It allows specified sex offenders still required to register after obtaining a Certificate of Rehabilitation to be relieved of the duty to register
- Allows you to apply to be a county probation officer or a state parole agent
A Governor?s Pardon DOES NOT:
- Seal or erase the record of your conviction
- Allow you to answer on an employment application that you do not have a conviction
- Prevent the conviction from being used as a prior conviction of you are later convicted of a new felony
- Restore your rights to own or possess a firearm if your conviction involved the use of a deadly weapon
- Pardon convictions from other states or federal convictions
- Necessarily prevent deportation
It is common to apply for a Certificate of Rehabilitation first which will automatically qualify you for a Governor?s Pardon. The Pardon will restore some of your rights listed above. It is the best thing you can do in terms of cleaning up your record if you were convicted of a felony and ineligible for an expungement.
Call the Law Offices of Nam Q. Doan | OC Legal Defense today at (714) 248-DOAN (3626) if you were convicted of a felony. I can advise you on your best options to cleaning your criminal record.